Monday, March 26, 2007

Infections

Aren't always bad.

The word I hear is that my old church is putting increased emphasis on serving beyond the walls of the church. There was a brush fire in their neighborhood just a week ago, and they have lined up volunteers to go cleanup and related help, as well as raising some money for the family who lost their home.

I don't herein explicitly claim that my new church's emphasis on service served as a kick in the pants to my old church to get out in the world, as it is something they have done in the past, too.

But now it's explicitly stated in their four points of emphasis on life (or whatever it's called): Worship, Learning, Fellowship, and Service. I was and am glad to hear it, and wish them all sorts of success. The more that Christ-followers are out in the world serving, the more I like it.

Side-note:
We're having our Easter church service in a graveyard. That's pretty cool. I saw a note to that effect on internal tests of the new website design (yet to be unveiled), and thought it was a joke. But it's rather appropriate. We like parks and places with majestic views for such things - but Easter itself centers on some unusual activity in a graveyard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding a link to our Photography!

And I wish people in the community didn't hate being served so much. It's tough when people just get burned from others and now they don't want to be helped. Just take a battery you know??

-Dave said...

You're welcome!

I figure, while it isn't my dream to be a professional photographer and get money for the pictures I take, that doesn't mean I can't do what I can to support someone else who is trying to live their dream.