Saturday, June 17, 2006

Moment of Silence

I drove to the waterfall we once visited together. I had intended to spend several minutes in quiet contemplation on the rock where we had talked long enough for me to get quite a sunburn without even noticing it. The hordes of mosquitos surrounding me and causing various parts of my body to swell limited my time to snapping a few pictures of the roaring falls and scrambling back to my car.

At 12:59 I pulled off the road into the shade. I said a prayer for the new bride and groom, shed a tear or two for what might have been, and at 1:01 I got back on the road and drove home. The last girl I had been interested in who was willing to not just talk to me, but hang out and do things - just the two of us - was getting married. And I was driving the highways north of Truckee, alone.

No comments: