Friday, March 14, 2008

Reputation

Dawson and I were having lunch together yesterday, as we typically do once a month. As we talked about how things were going witht he church, an older woman with disheveled hair who had been sitting nearby walked over to say that she had overheard some of the things we were talking about, and to tell us to keep fighting the good fight.

It was odd, and the moment passed. When I got off work, I went out to my car, ready to get home ASAP to catch the Nevada basketball game starting at 5:00. Who should approach me in the parking lot, but the same woman. "Excuse me young man, but could you give me a ride downtown? It's a long walk and I've been on my feet too long today already." I tried to offer an excuse - "Oh, I don't go that way, I'm heading north." No dice. "Could you make an exception? It's not that far."

And then it occured to me that this woman had heard me and Dawson talking about the church... and I knew that I didn't just represent myself, but Christ. What else could I do? "Sure, I'll take you." It really was just a mile or so down the road, and all told it cost me 10-15 minutes initially, but because of favorable traffic I made it home by 4:50 - maybe 5 minutes later than normal.

No comments: