Monday, March 17, 2008

Redux

Sound familiar? Sunday I discovered that one of my tires had what looked like a nail stuck in it, and a tire that was flat. With the scar on my left pinky finger still sore (if I push it at just the right angle), I tried to take it to Big O Tires to fix the flat.

Closed Sundays. Perfect.

I made sure I had my portable air compresson in my car, and went to work today. I made it home alright, but had decided to give fixing my own flat another try. So I got home, jacked up the car, pulled off the tire, let some air out, pulled out what was actually a 3/4" screw with really thick threads, ran the rasp through the hole, put in the patch material, grabbed a knife, and....

I managed to cut away the material safely, gingerly, and without filleting myself. I put the tire back on the car, reinflated it, checked for leaks, and am ready to go.

But I did wear leather work gloves, and gripped the patch material with pliers, while the tire lay flat on the ground (instead of being supported between my knees). I was careful, and the caution payed off.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

Nice job building suspense here...I was nervous for you.