Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Welcome, Recent Converts

I had a couple people tell me at the funeral today (a lovely service with a wonderful turnout - thanks to everyone who came!) that they had found my blog. Both made reference to the fact that it's the Ugly Evangelical. I will usually tell you to your face that it's more of a statement on my Evangelicalness. And that's usually true. But there are times I see myself that way physically, so I do appreciate the reassurance y'all have given me there.

But the title really grew out of a thought I had once (at least, I can imagine myself having it, though the original thought is probably long lost to the sands of time). That was "I'm not a very proper Evangelical in a lot of ways." I'm not a "pretty" Evangelical that happily fits most of the stereotypes for that word.

I wasn't always an Ugly Evangelical. I grew up in an Evangelical church from my childhood. I was a Limbaugh-listening, Bible-thumping, World-spurning, Christian-club-attending, Guitar-playing, Young-Earth-Creationizing (it's a reach, I know) Spiritual-Gift-inventorying, I-Kissed-Dating-Goodby-reading guy. Even through most of college, I had a very crisp conforming world view. I remember a friend of mine giving me the sort of shoulder-rub a boxer gets in the corner when at Carrows one night a "different" Christian was talking about Spiritual Gifts in a way that was foreign to me, and she thought I was about to launch into a vital defense on this point of doctrine.

I read the books that were "in" (This Present Darkness, I Kissed Dating Goodbye, Personality Plus, and others made the rounds. I was surrounded by people like me, and getting social affirmation that doesn't come too naturally for me. (Incidentally, the other ugly crops up in my mind though the root cause is probably the fact that my social graces with the fairer sex are rudimentary at best, and the limitation isn't just women. There's a reason I score 100% as an introvert.)

As I got on in my college life, life started throwing me some curves I had not expected. I met wonderful Christians who were solidly Democrats. I met a man who was as into strict Bible Study as anyone I ever knew tell me that the Earth was most certainly very old - not the 6,000 years I had always believed. The Christian activities I was involved with went through periods of upheaval and turnover, and the security that was there evaporated as those of us that were left tried to take the reins.

I will always remember when we had new leaders come in to Inter Varsity. They were hosting a booth at a "meet the groups on campus" function. I had just purchased a back-breaking collection of Bible Study reference books, and was eager to show them off. Strangely, they weren't that interested. Weren't interested at all, in fact.

Through a variety of such experiences, a few things started happening in my life.
  • I became more comfortable in the world than sitting in an endless stream of church activities.
  • I moved more and more away from my faith in the Republican Party as the bastion of all that was politically good and noble.
  • I got tired of church as I had always known it - dominated by a Christianity-for-Christians mentality.
  • I lost interest in debating hair-splitting of doctrines, realizing that good and faithful men asking for the guiding of the Spirit interpreting the Scriptures believed utterly different things.
And it dawned on me that I was no longer what I thought was a model Evangelical. On matters of doctrine, church life, and world life I had some noteworthy disagreements on issues that mattered very much to Evangelicals.

But Evangelical still described my worldview on a number of other, important matters. So I was no longer a Pretty Evangelical. I had become an Ugly Evangelical. I thought it a clever name, even. I was shocked to see that nobody had appropriated it yet. I've thought about changing it, but I like the archive of posts I have.

I've blogged for approaching 3 years I believe. Those 3 years span some significant changes in my life, and I don't look back on everything I've said and thought proudly. But I believe it's been honest, and I want to keep it all because I don't think there's anything to gain by whitewashing the fact that I am far from perfect. I struggle, I fall, and I'm in every way very human and I think the past on my blog reflects that. In those 3 years, I've gone through leaving a church I loved (and still love), through heartbreak, through a dark time of seriously doubting God, and on into getting reattached to a church and becoming one of the leaders.

I'm just a 29-year old single guy trying to feel his way through life. I'm fortunate to have a loving family, an inspiring church, persistent friends, and many more blessings I couldn't begin to enumerate in snappy two-worders.

And sometimes, I ramble.

Welcome Aboard!

9 comments:

Matthew said...

Haha, great spiel and all, but I think the ending has to be the best in I've seen in a bit - completely out of the blue and all. Kinda weird, but I just noticed I've been reading your posts for a majority of the time you've had your blog running, and yet it doesn't seem that long...

Anonymous said...

I would like to hear the rest re: men vs women and organizations. Please email me k.flim@yahoo.com

-Dave said...

You're getting old. But that's how it happens - you start working in the sound booth and the years fly by in an unending stream of ecstasy. Or something like that.

I started in January 2005. So, in about 3 months, I hit the 3 year mark. Honestly, it doesn't feel that long to me, either - but it becomes obvious when I start hunting for something I wrote "around Easter" and I realize it was Easter 2 years ago.

Rob Woods said...

Good post. I believe that you are not alone in your changing few of the world. I feel similar in my age growth through the church. It's almost as if I was spoon-fed and never really had an option to create my own opinions and feelings.

Anonymous said...

Wow Dave,
You really have grown. I went through a very similar thing When I moved to WI. We both hung in the same circle, and I did all the things you did. And boy did I dive into the doctrinal debating! But I remember even before I left for WI that I was growing tired of the debates and they were no longer fruitful for me.

When I moved to WI and found a group, I found I was the minority. No one I talked to there believed in Predestination. And that was a hard thing for me, in our circle most of us did, not all, but a lot of us. So I started to question why I believed in predestination. Was it because I studied it and considered all the theories and found it to be true, or was it because that is what we were taught? We were shown all the views, but we knew what our leaders believed in. So is that why I believed it too? So I started to study it again, and research it again, and now I can say with careful consideration and study, I fully believe it.

Does that mean I can make others? Well, I do present a pretty good case, but no, there is absolutely no way I can convince anyone to believe what I believe. That would be up to the spirit. But they definately do more research.

Mike, the weather man, once said, "we should never get to a point where we are absolutely convinced." I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do see his point now. There are always things to learn, always things to discover, and we will never stop learning.

You mentioned a lot of things that I could go on about, but I think it is more important to say that I went through the same thing. I finally started to think about make or break salvation issues, and those are the ones I tend to stand firm on. So I guess I am now an "ugly evangelical" as well. I love that you explained the name. I was a bit concerned, but since your blogs are mostly about life in general and not how dissapointed you are with being single, I started to wonder if there was a different meaning behind the name. And there was!! Thanks for sharing with us!

The thing I notice the most from your previous posts of long ago, is that many of them are much, much shorter! ;0) (looking up at my incredibly short comment)

Oh well, I'm still learning.

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your progression over the past few years. I can definitely relate, even if my own progression doesn't parallel yours exactly. I know we've gone through some very similar spells. I, for one, appreciate your honesty, even when it leaves your image less than picture-perfect. I'll take that which is genuine any day. I appreciate you, Dave!

-Dave said...

A lot of my questions came when I realized that there's a bigger gap than we might imagine sometimes between the inspired Word of God, and our best good-faith efforts to interpret it.

Wanting to know and understand, we dig in to the point that we are taking the text out of its context, and using fine divisions we created to say things the text never meant to talk about.

The use of "The Perfect" in 1 Corinthians 13 to justify cessationism has never sat very well with me. I know that Jesus used the tense of a verb to say that God is the God of the living, not the dead. But (1) He's the Son of God and is allowed to use the text to illustrate the point as He sees fit, and (2) Was he *Basing* the doctrine on that point, or was he using that point to *Illustrate* a truth? I think it's the latter, and if so that means using the gender of a noun as the *Foundation* of a doctrine is much shakier.

But the Ugliness of my Evangelicalness goes deeper. I see no reason to think that the Spiritual Gifts ennumerated in Scripture are a complete set. In none of the passages where gifts are discussed are the discussed as a closed set, or is the point even trying to list all the gifts. In each passage, they are listed as a "some of you are this, some of you are that, let everyone use his gifts as best he can" sort of way.

I think that evolution is likely the mechanism that life came about. I still think that God created everything, but in a different way than we imagined before - and a much more complex, mind-boggling way at that. But you know what - it's just not a big deal for me. The heavens declare the glory of God, whether or not the light has travelled for millions of years in a system billions of years in the making.

In many ways, I have come to dislike the doctrinal debate over non make-or-break issues (as I see them) as a waste of time and energy that we ought to be using extending the kingdom of God into the world of darkness. Our news is too good to spend so much time defending Noah's Flood as a mechanism to create the Grand Canyon.

One of the things I appreciate most in Dawson's sermons is that it's (1) an encouragement to share with the world and (2) it doesn't spend a lot of time on the filaments of the faith.

Tell me again of the death of Jesus, and the redemption for my sins. That's the story I most need and want to hear.

-Dave said...

Yay me!

And...

Thanks, Kaysi!

Abby said...

Dave,
I appreciate you. You're the best looking ugly around! Thanks for serving the Lord as you do.