Tuesday, September 18, 2007

In this world, you will have trouble

[In the story that follows, some events might be misplaced chronologically. It was a tough night. ]

When I first got the news that my dad definitely had a heart attack, I could hardly think. All I thought was "Space!" I needed a second to gather my thoughts, so with my stomach doing flips and tumbles that would make a gymnast envious, I headed to the bathroom. Not the most glorious place, but I just needed a little breathing room.

No one ever expects to hear news like this. Even in circumstances when we should see it barreling down on us (not that this is one of those), I think we try to turn a blind eye to it. I certainly didn't expect to hear it. I was in Colorado both to try and provide support to Dawson as he was performing the funeral for the man in our church who died 2 weeks ago, and to be there for the man's wife and family as best as I could. I was there to be the encourager. I didn't want to add my own troubles to the significant load they already had to bear. I didn't want to cry in front of the wife, who had to go through her husband's funeral and didn't need any more of life's garbage to deal with.

I gave them the news, and spent a little time out on their deck under the stars. I came back in, both to get warm and to find a more comfortable seat to await the results of the dye test that would show just how bad the heart attack had been. I was a little surprised to see her parents were still awake, just sitting in the living room talking. The wife came over to me and told me that just as I had stayed up all night with her when she lost her husband, she was ready to sit up all night with me while I waited for news of my dad. Her parents and brother never said as much, but it was pretty evident that they felt the same way. It may well be the most touching thing anyone's ever done for me.

After getting news that he had been stabilized, I thanked everyone for their concern and headed for bed (as we did have to leave the house at 6am the next morning for a 9:30 flight back). As we headed to bed, I had a little conversation with Dawson. He asked something to the effect of "What do we have to do to get a break from all the crap the church has had to deal with recently?" It was an expression of shock at the timing of this - going from a funeral for one member of the church to thepotential death of another's father, with hardly an hour's reprieve in between. My response was that all we had to do was give in and stop trying to represent Christ in the world. I'm not typically one to read demonic influences on every negative thing in life - but the alternative here was one of remarkable coincidence.

It is one of our primary goals at Coram Deo to get out in the world and represent Christ in the dark places, coming to serve and love the enemies of God. This is something that will stir up opposition in a world owned and run by demonic forces. But our response is never to give in - never to back down, or allow those feelings to bury the light we carry. Our response is to carry the message all the more boldly, knowing that if evil forces want the message stopped, then that is the very message that must be carried.

In the midst of repeated tragedy, sinners are coming to church and hearing the gospel. Prodigals are looking towards home to see a father come running. The message continues to spread, and people come to know God.

So I appreciate the prayers that everyone has offered for my dad, who continues to improve. But also pray that our church would be all the more encouraged to take the light of Christ into the world. Because in this world, we will have troubles. But take heart, because Christ has overcome the world.

4 comments:

Rob Woods said...

-"But take heart, because Christ has overcome the world."

In such a hopeless world, there exists a hope that lies deeper in our faith, in our God. Although the 'crap' continues to pile in our lives, it is joyful to remember that our God has been in our shoes, felt the tears on His face, experienced the life and death of this world. He is our only hope, the only one to bring life to a dark world.

Door to Bangalore said...

Dave-

You and uour family are in our prayers. It is a frightening time, but He offers all the hope that we need.

Travis

Anonymous said...

I've been praying for you guys.

Your response to why your church is going through so much is EXACTLY what came to my mind after just the first tragedy... I would say this second difficult circumstance only provides further evidence to the idea that your church is coming under opposition. I thank God for you all, for the vision He's given you and for the hearts He's given you to follow Him into those dark places. And -- as I was reminded recently -- while things are certainly not easy for any of you right now, "you can't tell the winner by looking at the scoreboard in the 3rd quarter." I pray you are all able to find encouragement & hope today, even in the storm.

Anonymous said...

we prayed for your dad in Sunday school today. God bless.
-klim