Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Super Bowl Sunday and Disagreeable Scientists

I stumbled across this article talking about the experiences of an NFL player who went to Afghanistan for the Super Bowl. As a sports fiend, it is a good reminder of bigger and more important matters.

On a wholly different note, I have been caught up in reading this book: A Short History of Nearly Everything. It's a science book, but it is written by a non-scientist to be accesible to non-scientists. The style is engaging, the points interesting, and a reminder of how amazingly huge creation is. It is cause for me to step back in wonder at the unbelievably complexity of the world.

I was caught when I read part of a chapter about Einstein and the Theory of General Relativity in Borders. I knew it would be interesting when it reminded me that if Jupiter was the size of a period on a piece of paper, Pluto would be 35 feet away... and that's only 1/50,000th of the way (if Jupiter is the size of a period on a page, the edge is somewhere near Tonapah) to the Oort Cloud - the edge of the solar system, which is 2 light years away - halfway to the nearest star.

It reminded me of a line from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - "Space is huge. Really huge. You just wouldn't believe how amazingly, mind-bogglingly huge it is."

No comments: