Thursday, February 01, 2007

The Road to Serfdom

The picture is often painted of greedy corporations being held in check by benevolent governments. I favor limited government mostly because I see politicians as no more or less greedy (or otherwise prone to the failings of human nature) than corporations, with far fewer checks on their power. Given that I don't trust one more than the other, I favor a system with more checks on their power.

I read an article today on a libertarian-leaning website about Hugo Chavez, who has received a unanimous vote to give him the power to rule by decree for 18 months in order to put in place a vast nationalization of the economy. Either the legislature unanimously thinks that giving Chavez total power in the government is a good thing, they fear dissenting because of personal fear, or they are bought and paid for through the already vast resources of currently nationalized industries.

But I'd like other perspectives on it. I like hearing from Kenny because he doesn't see the world in the same angle I do, but I'd like to know what other people think, too.

No comments: