Tuesday, February 20, 2007

On a lighter note

I pre-ordered the Lord of the Rings Online game (Lord of the Rings: Shadows of Angmar). It's a MMO (Massively Multiplayer online) game, based around the Lord of the Rings. The advance screenshots are beautiful, and one of the great thigns to do in these games is, say, climb to the summit of Weathertop and watch the sun set. Or sit in the Prancing Pony and discuss life over a pint of ale. All the playable characters are the good guys - Men, Elves, Hobbits and Dwarves. And the game is heavily influenced by Tolkien geeks.

Best of all, if in the Beta (pre-release final trials - like a free demo) I decide that I really like the game, I can pay a one-time subscription fee and avoid the recurring monthly charges that are the true profit centers for such games. It ammounts to a 14-month advance subscription, but I am a casual enough player that it is the monthly drain that keeps me from such games - I tried the Star Wars game, but didn't play it enough each month to feel like it was worth it. But there are times I still think it would be fun to log on, hop over to Endor, and go sight-seeing.

No comments: