Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Social Fundamentalists

I heard on talk radio today that Christie Todd Whitman, former governer of New Jersey and a liberal Republican (yes, it IS possible) has a new book out in which she fears that the more conservative wing of the Republican party is taking over. From the sound of the host's voice, she evidently uses the term social fundamentalist, and does so in a negative way.

I am reminded of a quote by Tony Campolo that I must use once again. "Why is it when someone talks about the 'religious issues' in politics they are always talking about homosexuality or abortion, things that Jesus never mentioned? Why is it not instead about helping the poor, or blasting hypocrisy - the things Jesus really cared about?" (forgive the paraphrase, but I hope I conveyed the intent).

I think I would like to be a social fundamentalist, but not in the negative way the f-word seems to convey today. I have firm beliefs in the authority of scripture, the existence of moral absolutes, and the person of Jesus Christ. But I would like to see those of like mind do more than talk about helping the poor.

The masses knew of Jesus for what he did. And while I do not call for a wave of miracles to sweep the country, I would like to see an army of people whose love for God calls them to love the world. To have evangelical Christians not known for their strict attention to the "rules" they have set up around the scriptures, but for their excitement concerning the "good news" that their very name derives from.

What can I do today? I can think of two areas of my life that need daily attention.

I can love the people I meet at work, on the road, and online. I can treat them with the dignity they deserve of creatures made in the image of God. I can put them first, knowing that our Lord himself came not to be served but to serve. I can care about their lives, suffering as they suffer, rejoicing as they rejoice.

I can realize that I am entrusted with resources to be used for the good of the Kingdom. I can adjust my spending habits, spending less on myself so I may have more to spend on others. I can be generous with my posessions as well as with my time.

No comments: