Saturday, January 08, 2005

The Name, Part One

According to Dictionary.com, a part of the definition of Ugly is "objectionable." I'd use the phrase non-conformist, but that phrase has gotten so much mileage that I'd rather something different.

How am I an ugly evangelical? That will require some time to develop, so bear with me if I do not spill all the beans at once.

Uglifier Number One: I am not a firmly entrenched Conservative Republican. I almost always vote that way, because I am both fiscally and socially conservative. But to simply toe a party line is meaningless. For George W. Bush to claim fiscal conservativisim is nice, but piles of new spending programs do not fit this mold. While I believe that tax cuts genuinely increase tax revenue in the long run, I do not believe you can simultaneously cut taxes and increase spending and expect anything other than budget defecits, which are death to any economy when carried over a long time.

To never question what those in authority tell you is to invite people manipulating you.

To always question it is to be frozen without action.

Where do we find the balance?

No comments: