Monday, January 17, 2005

Reality Check

It is easy to get lost in your own little world some times, to become fully absorbed with the ins and outs and ups and downs of making it through a day. To go to work, eat lunch, come home, entertain yourself and not think for a moment of anything else.

Through some random websurfing through the few sites I know, I came across this video. You need Quicktime to see it, but I highly reccommend taking the time to do so.

The answer to Phillip Yancey's titular question in Where is God When It Hurts is another quesiton: "Where is the Church when it hurts?" I believe the Church to be the "Body of Christ," not just that it is diverse in its members, but that it is the presence of God in the world. God can work in many ways, but I believe that the defining way that God works in today's society is not through signs and wonders, but through the most mundane people doing the most mundane things. Average people who do their small part to feed the hungry, to clothe the naked, to touch the untouchable.

To Whom Much is Given, Much is Expected.
-Jesus

2 comments:

URBWes said...

Yes! The curch needs to be out there, being Jesus to the world. I find that, if I fill my schedule with enough "stuff", I forget about the important things. We starve ourselves spiritually because we allow others to do so as well. It's easier to just allow ourselves to sit back and not look ofr opportunities to feed the poor and help the needy. They are in our backyards and we just let them sit as we go to our $30,000 Universities. A Christian University where God is last in line.

I hear you brother,
another confused follower (but more often wanderer) of Christ

-Dave said...

The hard part about being Jesus to the world is that it costs us. My biggest fear is that we, as the Pharisees, give copious ammounts of money without feeling any sacrifice.

Call it the David Principle - "Shall I offer a sacrifice to the LORD that costs me nothing?"

I fail in this area. I therefore cannot sit in judgement over those who do so as well. But I appreciate the things like this video that remind me of things beyond the hustle and bustle of my everyday life.

We simply cannot afford to offer a small token of our lives to salve a guilty conscience. Most people we meet will never see someone of such amazing selflessness as a Mother Theresa. They will only see us. God has entrusted his image to us. How will we use it?