Tuesday, December 04, 2007

The Golden Compass

Surely you've heard of this upcoming movie. It's a fantasy epic, in the fashion of the Chrinicles of Narnia, but based on books that have a drumbeat of agnosticism and atheism, instead of C.S. Lewis's Christianity. Like with Narnia, the first book was made into a movie, coming out soon.

Here's what I think:

A lot of Christian groups are up in arms about "a deliberate attempt to push atheism and agnosticism on an unsuspecting crowd." The religious beliefs of the author are a primary concern for these groups. But if the "subversive" nature of this is your primary concern, then I can't agree with you.

Not because those motives aren't there on the part of the author (though watered down, he was disgusted by Lewis's overtly Christian Narnia stories). But because the same thing happened in reverse with the Chronicles of Narnia, movie-wise.

I don't believe the studios are pushing a message. I think they're scouring for any epics they can after the success of "The Lord of the Rings" and churning them into movies simply, purely, to make a profit. In recent years, we've had Troy, Narnia, Beowulf, and many others.

If you want to make the argument that there is an agenda, you have to consider the whole body of work. Given Narnia, et al, I don't think you can do that. If your argument is about the means (how dare they try to trick the young), then you can't change your mind just because you agree with the content. You can't call Narnia just a "good story" and then call this movie an insidious plot. Either both were a plot (Disney vs. New Line -- Good vs. Evil... but New Line also made LOTR, so this gets real confusing), or neither was. Personally, I'm inclined to go with #2.

4 comments:

Kenny said...

To put your analysis another way, I'd say that as a believer in the First Amendment, which is premised on a free flow of ideas, then I fully support the "means" of The Golden Compass, making books, movies, etc.

As a Christian, I see history as a battle between Good and Evil, God and the Devil, and it's really clear what side The Golden Compass is on.

I agree with your point about how you can't complain simply about the means of Golden Compass unless you're ready to condemn Narnia too. But there are also the ends to consider, which is Pullman's case are fully anti-Christian.

So on those grounds, I think it's important for Christians to oppose The Golden Compass in the strongest terms (what that specifically means, I'm not sure).

I agree that I don't think movie studios are pushing ideas; they're just trying to make a buck. But that too is an agenda of sorts, and it allows for an anti-Christ like Phillip Pullman to have as much say in our society as saints like Lewis and Tolkien. (I use the terms 'anti-Christ' and 'saints' in technical terms). So for that reason, it's worthwhile for Christians to scrutinize the "means" to see what good and bad comes through them.

-Dave said...

And if the argument were left with the ends, I'd support it a little more.

What I hate is that it turns into an occasion to decry the evil media powers that push such things on an unsuspecting public. I hate it because those same power brought us Narnia and Lord of the Rings, so claiming conspiracy makes us sound, well, nuts.

I'd rather see people make the positive argument that says "Here is the premise in the Golden Compass. Here is why that premise is wrong." That's the sort of opposition I'd like to see to the Golden Compass.

The problem, of course, is that such a message is wordy and doesn't make for a good sound clip. But "Hollywood is evil" is wonderfully concise, if not good for much beyond reinforcing an unflattering stereotype.

Anonymous said...

I figured someone would write about this eventually. I am curious if either of you have read the books?

I don't want to add money to this persons pockets just yet, but I love these kinds of movies. I see them as purely fictional fantasies,and enjoy them, a lot.

However, I am thinking of getting the book from the Library and see what it is really about. According to a snopes article, in the final book they kill God. God being who He is you can see why this is purely fiction. However, there could be some strong messages there. For this reason, I can't support or not support the film until I have checked it out for myself. I simply have no opinion until then, except it looks like a fun movie.

Christians have done the same thing with Harry Potter and I completely disagree with them. I have looked into the books and movies, and have several good arguments for letting my kids watch the movies or read the books.

So I am sincerely curious if you are basing your opinions off of what other people or christians have said or if you have done the research yourself?

-Dave said...

I was basing my thoughts on what non-christians had said, for the most part. I don't, generally, trust anyone I think has an agenda to give me an unbiased view of the issue (As with Harry Potter)

I saw the movie, because it's a movie my friends really wanted to see.

My response to it was stronger than I had imagined it would be, but that's for another blog.