Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Decade Later

I made a choice at one point to not blog about "Dave, the Heartbroke Guy" some time ago, as I was tired of sounding like a broken record. There comes a time when you have to let go of the past, or you get stuck in it forever... and the more I wrote about such things, the more I thought about them. Rather than serving as a release, it rather focused my thinking on such matters.

That said, it was 10 years ago tomorrow that I first was utterly heartbroken over a girl.

Why mention it? Mostly because, though I can vividly recall the pang of loss I felt on December 6, 1997... it doesn't really hurt anymore. I feel the echo of that hurt when I think about it, but I accepted - with time - that things were not as I had wished them.

Doubtless life would have been different without that heartbreak. For the last 10 years I've been on a path I neither imagined nor desired. It hasn't always (or even often) been easy, but it has given me experiences, opportunities, and even joys I would have missed had I been on the path I lost that day.

I admit, I sometimes wish things had been different. But what happened 10 years ago has, in its way, helped make me who I am today. And I think that on the whole, that change has been for the best. You can't be heartbroken without being broken. But out of being broken, though you can't see it at the time, comes the opportunity to be rebuilt better than before.

Sort of like the Bionic Man.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster."

you were asking for it.