Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Energy Policy Act

I won't pretend I've read all 464 pages of the Senate Bill. But I was struck immediately by two things:

First - I wonder when every talking point for a bill will make its way into the title. It's obviously getting close. Check this out:

...the bill from the House of Representatives (H.R. 6) entitled ‘‘An Act to reduce our Nation’s dependency on foreign oil by investing in clean, renewable, and alternative energy resources, promoting new emerging energy technologies, developing greater efficiency, and creating a Strategic Energy Efficiency and Renewables Reserve to invest in alternative energy, and for other purposes.’’

Also, though I'm sure it's part of the legislateive process, I thought that once upon a time and amendment meant an addition, or a change, but not a wholesale revision, as this:

Resolved, That the bill from the House of Representatives (H.R. 6) entitled ‘‘...’’, do pass with the following AMENDMENTS: Strike out all after the enacting clause and insert: (remainder of the bill goes here).

No comments: