Friday, November 30, 2007

Legacy

Who are you? How do you want to be remembered? I would imagine we all want to be known as good people, but if people could remember just a couple things about you, what would you want them to be?

What one thing would you want people to remember you saying?
What one thing would you want them to remember you doing?
If your children could think just one thing about you, what would you want it to be?

It's questions like this that can give us a vision, a mission statement in life. But to be useful, it also needs to be practical. I'd love to be remembered as a perfect, selfless, holy ambassador of love to all the world. But to the extent that I can't achieve that, I'll put it off as something I will do when I have more money, time, power, etc.

So we need, perhaps, some more focused questions.

What's one thing you've done today that you want to be remembered for?
What's something you could do (but haven't) today that you want to be remembered for?

These aren't as broad, but they're two excellent quetions because they both encourage us in the thigns we are doing right, and challenge us to act in a way today that is in line with how we aspire to be.

Today my answers would be:

1) I prayed for a friend in need.
2) I want to spend less on myself in order to give generously to others.

1 comment:

Kenny said...

I really like this line of thought.

I've also thought a really interested exercise would be to write the story of your life, but backwards. Start with your funeral: what would you want said about you? Then go to what actions you'd have to take to have those things said at your funeral.

As for your questions:

1) Unusually, today I had the chance to tell a non-Christian friend that Jesus loves him so much He died for him.

2) I want to think about the needs of someone else before my own.