Friday, November 16, 2007

Equal Time

I spend a lot of time in here harping on the problems I see with the Republican leadership. This is because I am a Republican, so I'm a little harder on those who claim to represent me than on those I don't expect to. But this was too good to pass up.

Hillary Clinton was to be in Fernley today giving a talk on renewable energy at an elementary school. She had to alter her plans, though, to fly back to Washington D.C. to vote on a farm bill. She will be back to give her renewable energy talk later in the day, though, at 6:30.

I don't have a problem with elected officials changing their schedules to do their job (vote on legislation). I think that there's far too much time spent away from Washington campaigning as it is. But what I find delicious is the fact that she's flying across the country - twice - and then giving a talk (presumably) about the dangers of oil consumption, global warming, and the benefits of finding renewable energy.

Do you have any idea how much jet fuel is consumed - and how much carbon dioxide is released - to fly some 5,000 miles? Jet Fuel is, after all, a very NON-renewable energy source. That she is flying back across the country to give her speech just a little later than originally planned... that's just beautiful.

2 comments:

Kenny said...

You should go, try to get yourself a "planted" question, and instead spring a different one on her about how much jet fuel she used in the past two days.

-Dave said...

Honestly, I'd love to go to go to an open forum with one or more presidential candidates. And while I'd love to see what she has to say about the jet fuel (likely answer: carbon offsets), I'd even more like to see how the candidates appear without the lens of a media story in the way.