Thursday, November 15, 2007

Is it strange?

I support the Writers' Guild of America strike. In our system of faceless wage negotiation, a strike is the way an otherwise faceless crowd of employees can ask for what they think they deserve. It might seem strange to favor a union activity, given my conservative leanings. But in some circumstances, I believe unions serve a productive purpose, and this is one of those circumstances.

It's the writing that makes my favorite TV shows - 30 Rock, The Simpsons, The Office, Chuck, Heroes, and My Name is Earl - what they are. Given that their up-front wage does not take into account the value of the product when it is released on DVD or the Internet, I think their demand for compensation when the product is distributed through these means is fair.

I like the market, in part, because I can vote with my pocketbook. In this case, I vote to not buy TV DVDs, and I vote with my TV-(and advertising)-watching-eyes by not watching the reruns or stop-gap shows that will run in place of the shows I will miss.

The Office airs its final new episode this season tonight because of the strike. Doubtless, reruns or reality shows will take its place. I like neither. But it's for the best - I've been needing to hit the gym more anyway.

4 comments:

Kenny said...

You have delivered tragic news to me about the Office being on its last new episode. I knew those one-hour installments would come at a price!

Anonymous said...

Been a little while since I visited (though not as long as usual).

I had wondered what you thought of the strike! I completely agree with your thoughts, and I, too, decided last week that after tonight's last new episode of The Office (woe is me!!), I am not going to watch any more television until the strike is resolved. I see DVD marathons in my near future...

Matthew said...

Television is one form of media I am not really too keen on. Sure, I'm hooked on lost whenever it is on, and The Simpsons are always entertaining, but when you only have so many hours between coming home from work and then going to bed, it kinda makes you realize 'oh, I only have this much time to blahblah.'

But just one initial impression that popped into my mind when I first heard about the strike was 'okay, this isn't really the best for tv and the like, but maybe now we'll actually see some movies that will have some good story behind them.'

Anonymous said...

...except the strike will affect movies as well as television...