Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Intimidating?

In the past week, I had two people say the same thing - roughly - for unrelated reasons. One said "you're one of those guys whose intelligence intimidates me." Another commented on my blog that "I try not to let it (my intelligence) intimidate me..."

I've accepted that I might be smarter than the average bear, though I don't really think of myself that way (usually). I've had people point it out to me, and I just sort of shrug it off. But twice in the past week, the specter of INTIMIDATION has come into play.

It's only rarely that I hope to intimidate someone with the awesome power of my mind. And usually, it's while I'm discussing some element of statistical analysis as it relates to sports, and I'm tired of dealing with someone who's obstinate and refuses to consider the carefully compiled facts. It's a demonstration of boredom, but not much more than that.

I try not to be that way in general - and in the first instance in particular what brought the comment about was the wholly innocuous demonstration of the sort of things I write about for work (Just about all of the "Publications" here are mine http://www.nevadaworkforce.com/?PAGEID=67&SUBID=188).

My roommate assured me that he doesn't find me intimidating. I hope you don't either. When I'm looking at a difficult subject like whether war is justifiable, I'm generally asking honestly. I rarely claim to have the answers, and should you comment and I come back with more questions it's only because I like to keep probing until I think the issue has been well-explored. Or because I'm bored. Or because I forget about it. But it's not meant to be intimidating, and I don't mean to say that I'm right and you're wrong. I ask to probe deeper, not to dismiss your thoughts.

Because behind the intimidating intellect is a normal guy with a tendency to be distracted by shiny things.

6 comments:

Kenny said...

What do you think about the saying that "intelligence has the equivalent moral value of beauty"?

-Dave said...

I've never heard that saying, so I'm opining from the hip here. That said, I think it's an interesting proposition.

Both are generally regarded as favorable qualities to have. Both are occasions for becoming proud, or feeling superior to others. Both can be used to positive or negative ends. Both are somewhat intangible and hard to nail down.

Neither would be regarded among the weak, lowly, and foolish things that God chooses to use to shame the wise, noble, and strong.

That being said, I think both are amoral things which can be used to moral or immoral ends.

Are both equally desirable traits for people, or should they be? I'm not even sure where to begin with that.

Kenny said...

At a worldly level, I think they're arguably equally desirable since both help people "do well" in this world.

And for the reasons you've stated, I think they're equally desirable or non-desirable for spiritual reasons.

Something I've been realizing is that I've spent a lot of time developing my mind, but that at the end of the day such development does not necessarily lead to much spiritual profit. So my current prayer is that I'll spend more energy developing my love for God and others, and relatively less on trying to be smart.

Anonymous said...

I hope I didn't offend you. Saying your intelligence intimidates me is a comment on my own insecurities and trying not to let them get the best of me. I guess in reallity my insecurities are the true intimidation. So when I comment on your blogs that are hard questions, it takes a lot for me to put my thoughts out there and take the chance of looking a fool. You, as a person, are not intimidating. I would assume you are the same person I knew five years ago with some growth. Because hopefully we all grow. That makes you more like a sweet teddy bear. You are not the only person who brings out my insecurities on here. So it is just my battle to not give in to those insecurities. And yes, I agree with Kenny on beauty and intelligence.
I enjoy the conversations and challenging myself by trying to comment on here. So don't stop.

-Dave said...

Offended? Not at all. I just found it curious that two people, for totally unrelated reasons, would use almost the exact same words to describe me - and words I wouldn't have applied to myself.

It was just an unusual coincidence, most likely. But it gave me a chance to take a look at myself and ask if I am perceived in a way I don't suspect.

Matthew said...

I guess I should say it.

Dave, you (or more likely, your beard) intimidates me. That, and your refusal to reveal to me the true Master of the Sith.