Monday, July 03, 2006

Love

I heard it asserted the other night that we cannot love other people save through the power of Christ. I used to take this as a given truth, not being aware of much of the world beyond my church. How, then, could anyone follow any other church, any other philosophy? Should not our love shine forth like a beacon to everyone, a self-evident sign of our identity?

In my experience, my closest friends, none of whom are churched people can be as loving or more loving than Christians I know. All of us were there in a heartbeat when the father of one of our group passed away - arriving before the sun not because we could do much, but to be there. We went to the mortuary with his family. We began the process of getting his effects in order. Mostly, we were just there - and I doubt anyone thought for a moment there was anywhere else we should have been.

My Mormon cousins are kind people whose company I prefer to many other people I know. They offered their homes when my sister and I went to Salt Lake for the NCAA Tournament, and I watched as one spent some noticeable time on the phone trying to help an aquaintance from church find housing in another state.

I am uncertain if we are the sole chalice of love in a cruel and uncaring world. If we are, how is it that so many others imitate it so convincingly? If we are not, what do we make of "all my will know that you are my disciples if you love one another"?

Do we simply love too little? What would the love we ought to have look like? And why don't we seem to have it? I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i have basically had these same thoughts on this issue... how can a Hollywood "heathen" like brad pitt be so moved with compassion over the plight of people in africa while there are people in the church who could care less? not all people in the church, of course, but there are undoubtedly some... considering this is the situation, how is it possible that only those who have accepted Christ have the ability to love? how DO you explain the love that is evident in others who may not follow Him? i don't know...

i always like to think that when i see love coming from the life of someone who doesn't know Christ, it is a reflection of the fact that they were made by God, in His image, whether they are choosing to follow Him or not... i also like to think that when such a person goes through the experience of loving someone else, they have a sense - likely on a subconscious level - that there is a God who loves them.

i don't know. just some of my random thoughts.

Dawson said...

Maybe it's a balance between the depravity of man & men created in the image of God. Actually kaysi said it best. Preach it!