Thursday, July 13, 2006

For What It's Worth

I have a different gripe than the one that's been typical the past several months.

My car didn't pass smog. The repairs are surprisingly costly, for something that doesn't actually keep the vehicle from running (and which aren't covered by my extended warranty, of course). The costs come at a bad time. The timing, in conjunction with my cross-country trip, couldn't be much worse.

It's all quite frustrating.

But for what it's worth, it's something else to distract me from my primary frustrations.

2 comments:

Dawson said...

If you move to Carson do they require smog? They can't because I see tractors cruising the main drag there!

-Dave said...

Alas, I run afoul of the EPA (Federal) reqirements for OBDII diagnostics. My spark plugs are fouled (I can fix that with $5 in parts and a couple scraped knuckles), my oxygen sensors are shot (online, off-brand parts are $150 apiece, and I don't even know where exactly they go - but repairs are ~$700), and my catalytic converter is burned out (need to get that replaced under warranty - but the diagnostic testers cleared the code, so until it reappears, I can't do a thing, and so it had better reappear by Saturday or Sunday, or I can't drive it around until the code reappears). Unfortunately, I can't avoid the oxygen sensors, because without them being replaced, I hear my car won't pass smog, so I can't re-register it by Monday, when it expires.