Monday, July 24, 2006

Chick-Fil-A

I ate there for lunch last Tuesday, because if I had gone to North Carolina and not tried this mythic dining establishment, I'd have woken up one morning with a chicken head in my bed, or something similarly daunting.

It was located in the local mall's food court. I ended up getting a chicken caesar wrap. Perhaps I didn't make the best choice. It was good, but hardly mythic. But I did not sample their food time and again - that one meal was it. I might have tried again for dinner, but ended up having dinner at proper restaurants with coworkers, classmates, and the instructor.

I think I'm just hard to impress. In-N-Out is good, but I'd not drive hours out of my way to go there. Same with Krispy Kreme. If I want a good burger, I think a local place has to be the thing. Have an Awful-Awful at the Nugget in downtown Reno (not the Sparks Nugget). Eat at a stool in the diner. That is a proper fast-food meal. Get a chocolate shake, too.

I so wish I could go there for lunch right now. [cries]

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

what the beep?!? okay, you are the second of my friends to try a flippin' "cool wrap" for your first chick-fil-a experience. this is where you go wrong and miss out on the magic that is chick-fil-a. you must go with either the original chicken sandwich, or the nuggets. the other food is good, too, but you gotta go with one of the classics for your first try. "ALAS, now the first impression is forever flawed," she cried!! :-/

-Dave said...

Why the wrap? Easy - I didn't know the "proper" choice of meals, and I didn't want greasy fingers. I was told by a southern lady in our group that Chick-Fil-A was "the real thing" (or something like that), and a must-try for anyone visiting the south.

But like you've said - there's one in Roseville, and I head through that direction on a not-irregular basis. My sister and I will probably be going through there once or twice next spring in March, if I don't go sooner.

So don't despair (too much).

jcourting said...

Did you eat at Cracker Barrel? Tell me you did.... please say yes...you Did eat at cracker barrel.

Jose said...

In Phoenix they have Chik-Fil-A, so I made sure to stop by. And of course, I went with their classic chicken sandwich. It is what made them what they are today.

I have to say it was markedly different than any other chicken sandwich I've had before. There was a lightness to it. Buttery maybe? I concluded its fame was rightly earned.

-Dave said...

I could tell you I did, but I'd be lying. As far as I know, there were none nearby. I ate at McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, Cheesecake Factory, Oriental Express, Ruby Tuesday's, and Godfather's Pizza (at the airport). I don't include the fairly decent continental breakfast at the hotel.

Kenny said...

Kaysi and Jose are definitely right. The original chicken sandwhiches comforted me through many long law school nights. I think it's fair to equate the chick-fil-a original sandwhich with the in-n-out original burger.

Cracker Barrel sounds kind of racist, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

ohhhhh cracker barrel is my other favorite!!! my mouth waters just thinking of the cornbread... they have them in utah. next time you're in salt lake city....

yea i'm a little bit excited about all the comments this post stirred up. ;)

Door to Bangalore said...

If it's the equivalent to In-N-out, as our friend Kenny says, then Chick-Fil-A sounds like quite the experience. We will be on the lookout. Sounds pretty greasy, yeah grease is what creates that so called "lightness." That's pretty interesting, grease --> lightness.

Ahh, now the cravings set in. In-N-out is certainly on the agenda when we make it back to NV in August! A few of the interns are from California. We reminisce about the burgers, the shakes, the fries that taste healthy but aren't. It's good times.

:)