Sunday, January 15, 2006

WWDD

I was talking with my roommate last week. We hadn't seen much of each other, so it was good to catch up on each others' lives. I was sharing the frustrations that I have given ample space to here, and he was trying to encourage me.

At one point, he said "Dave, you're one of the most morally upright (actual words may have varied slightly, including that I may be the most) people I know. When I'm not sure what to do, I honestly ask myself 'What would Dave do?' Hm. That's sort of like 'What would Jesus do,' but more concrete (final wording again, paraphrased)."

Wow. Could the point, in a way, be any clearer? To him, and possibly to my other friends in that circle, I am Jesus. Not that I am physically the Son of God, but I may be their only connection to him.

While I don't really agree with his final conclusion (that I'm such a wonderful person that the universe owes me one, so I should be confident in speaking to her), such statements offer reminders to the very important things that happen in everyday life, most often without our being aware of it.

Also encouraging is the fact that I live with this guy. He sees me happy, moping, crashed on the couch, playing video games, and being me without pretense. I think that in a way, this authenticity helps. I believe he would percieve if I was trying to put on a mask of false virtue. He knows I am not perfect, but in spite of this sees me as a person worth emulating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

at least, emulating your moral sense. and I think I can add hygiene here. he can emulate your personal hygiene standards.