Monday, January 09, 2006

It starts

Shortly before New Year's Eve, I was at WalMart gathering munchies for a small gathering at my place (which was, I think, the most fun I've had on New Year's in several years). I noticed that the card/party/seasonal aisle was fully stocked with Valentine's cards. The week after New Year's I began to notice a small increase in red-themed decorations in the stores. Today I was buying milk and soda (Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper for me, Fanta grape soda for my roommate, though we'll both drink either), and there was an 8' tall, 25 sqft display just inside the door at Scholaris.

The Valentine's Day season has begun.

Good news: in just over a month, the worst 3 months (mid-November through mid-February) of frustratingly lonely months will be past.

The bad news: it's still that far away.

I had hoped because of things I'm sure you are sick of reading about that things would be different this year. As of yet, I have no firm answers. I backed down from immediately following up with another invitation, had to take a couple weeks off, and felt uneasy jumping right back in. But I managed to engage in friendly conversation which is, I suppose, a prerequisite for a friendly conversation that leads to a "do you want to do something?"

So why so much less than hopeful? Prior experience weighs heavily on me. Shrugging it aside to try to continue despite it is difficult. I am trying.

No comments: