Friday, December 16, 2005

Things You Can Survive Not Knowing

I was a late bloomer as far as being a sports fan goes. The first time I remember watching a football game that I cared in the least about was the '94 Superbowl. Not because I actually cared, but because the Youth Group was having a Superbowl party, and I figured I'd go.

I started watching UNR football for free as a student during my second year in school. I followed it the year before, but a 9am-noon Economics 101 class kept me from being too into the games. It happens that the year before was the last Bowl Game the team went to, and we won, thanks in part to quarterback John Dutton. UNR went downhill from there, but I remained a fan, went to games, got season tickets when I graduated, and did the alumni thing.

I was interested to see when EA Games made a Arena Football game, that UNR product John Dutton was chosen as the cover athlete. It's more obscure than the NFL, but Nevada has hardly been a major causeway in the athletic world.


In other news, Nevada basketball suffered their first loss last Saturday, to higher-ranked UCLA. Good news: they played poorly in the game, yet remained competitive. Bad news: they still lost. I was still pleased to see this article on CBS Sports.

No comments: