Friday, July 27, 2007

It's a Well-Known Fact

That I am overcome with a desire to buy flashy electronics when I'm feeling down. Whether it serves as a distraction or just an occasion for my endorphins to get busy, it's a readily identifiable habit.

I suppose that's why I'm so tempted by this really sweet camera. What's so sweet? It's 10 Megapixels (which means it has a large sensor - better for low-light conditions). It's a digital SLR (meaning the photographer has oodles more control over the photo than traditional point-and-shoot). It has a Bulb setting, which means you can hold the shotter open indefinitely (until it runs out of power) to get good photos of the stars. It's a fair price (right now) for such a camera. And it would go oh-so-nicely with my new star-picture-taking mount and drive. And I'm heading up to the Black Rock in a couple weeks - what better time to use such a thing???

The truth is, I think I'm just down about a wedding tomorrow. Weddings in general are excellent focal points for any and all feelings of lonliness, and those involving a girl you unsuccessfully tried asking out are that much worse - even if you've accepted that things not working out with her are probably for the best. It still ain't fun, but life isn't always fun.

I think I'll make use of my recently-repaired car and go exploring somewhere tomorrow. Better to get out and find something interesting than to sit around moping. Because as Pumba said in The Lion King, "You gotta put your behind in your past."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Brother

JC

Anonymous said...

Oh, when are you going up to Black Rock. I would like to come along to shot some B-role. I think you have #. If not I check this post tomorrow in the am.

Jason Clinton

-Dave said...

We're going up the afternoon/night of August 11 (Saturday), coming back bright and early on the 12th. It's the night of the 12th that coincides with the peak of the Perseid meteor shower, but I have to be at work the next day. Nevertheless, hopefully there will be some shooting stars to see.

I'm headed up with my roommate and a couple friends from that circle, so I'll have to check with them. Though to be honest, I wouldn't mind an excuse to take another trip up there. This weekend, there's a group of rocket-builders doing their thing, with a permit for up to 100,000-foot launches. I have no plans to spectate, but could be convinced to make some ;)

Door to Bangalore said...

Or you could save yourself a few hundred bucks and go for the K100d, the K10d's little brother. I've had mine since May and am loving it. Still have a lot to learn... I think they are down to about $425 w/ the 18-55 kit lens.

-Dave said...

I've looked at that... but the resolution on the K10D makes a noticeable difference in the pictures I have seen of the stars.

Though, especially for long exposures, the fact that the K100D takes AA batteries would be convinient to keep the thing charged.

I still want the camera, and I'm not even particularly down anymore. Less than 2 weeks to decide! Ack!