Thursday, October 05, 2006

Science and The Mummy

You may recall, shortly before Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz release the cursed mummy in Egypt, some workers stumble onto an old Egyptian trap - tryg to pry open a box, they are sprayed with a liquid that causes their faces to melt.

"Salt Acid," the grizzled tomb raider says knowingly.

Sorry, but that's just plain ridiculous. I know the movie invokes the power of Ra and has an undead monster sucking the fluids and plucking organs from some unfortunate Brits, but for some reason, it's the "salt acid" that bugs me. It's inherently contradictory.

An acid is the combination of a Hydrogen ion, H+ with a negative ion, like Cl- or SO4- in water. A base is the combination of a hydroxyl group, OH- with a positive ion, like Na+ or K+ in water.

When you combine an acid and a base, they cancel each other out (as we learn from MacGyver). They do this by combining the H+ and OH- into a good old H2O. What about the other parts? They mix together, too, to form a salt. (such as NaCl - good old table salt - from mixing sodium hydroxide with hydrochloric acid).

Thus, a salt is not, ever, a type of acid. It's just stupid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HELLO! IT'S A MOVIE! CAN YOU SAY, "NOT REAL"?

-Dave said...

Hello!

Yes, it is. And one I enjoy.

Sure. But when I say it, it doesn't appear on screen, so I'll just type it: "NOT REAL."

Hence, my acknowledgement that the movie also invokes Ra and features an undead monster. But "salt acid?" I find entertaining the obviously ficticious parts of the movie. I am amused in an entirely different way by the salt acid. I wonder if such tomfoolery was intentional.

I suppose I ought not say it bugs me - it does catch my attention and make me laugh at or with the writers, I just don't know which.

Next Rant: why the animals in Bambi shouldn't be able to emulate human words.

;)

Anonymous said...

geez someone was really offended by your blog there. lol, that's funny. :)

Anonymous said...

i just wanted to leave another comment here because the word verification for this comment is "bearrcmk" and i thought it was weird to see an actual word show up. hmm.