Tuesday, October 24, 2006

In This Temple


DC1006 (184)
Originally uploaded by renowiggum.


In this temple
As in the hearts of the people
For whom he saved the Union
The spirit of Abraham Lincoln
Is enshrined forever

-Inscription, Lincoln Memorial

People want to worship something bigger than themselves. This is the most popular monument in Washington DC. It is, by its own admission a temple - a place of worship and reverence.

People talk to Honest Abe here. They ask advice. They search for answers and meaning. They also stop just to visit, to see the sights.

I was sad. Here, at the heart of our nation, an idol. Not all idols are sex godesses and sun gods, after all. How many believers put God and Country on the same page? How many put the latter above the former, in custom if not in name?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your reflections.
With Veteran's Day just around the corner, I'm making preparations for honoring our vets. We'll call in a color guard. We'll sing a couple of patriotic songs that speak of God and Country. All of which I'm not too crazy about. But the part I do like is acknowledging the veterans war by war and saying thank you for their service.

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts Dave. I do think we tend to exalt America as an idol, and Christians are just as guilty as the rest of the world. (perhaps moreso at times?)

I also agree with Jose's comments above. Veteran's Day weekend has passed now, and while the atmosphere in church was great that Sunday and it did stir up my patriotism, I still felt somewhat disturbed beneath the surface. I can't remember when the congregation has sung with such gusto and fervor as we did on that day. Why is there a notable difference in our exultation when our country is the theme instead of "just" our Savior? I'm not saying I'm not guilty of this, but at the same time, I'm not sure many other people have stopped to think about it.