Monday, September 18, 2006

Football!

I was at the season opening game for Nevada football. We came in 0-2, playing a 2-0 team that we haven't beaten in 8 tries. Many of their fans predicted an easy victory. It was not to be.

It was a dominating performance by my team, with only a couple stumbles in the middle that gave the other team the chance to put points on the board. But with the exception of those fretful minutes, the game was not in doubt. We whalloped them. It was a beautiful thing to see.

I like football, because I like the feeling of involvement with the people around me that it provides. I love to hear the fans cheering, I love the response from the team on the field, I love to feel the excitement crackling in the air.

I'd have spent more time socializing with some other fans from WolfPackChat.com, but I got smoke or something in my eye (maybe I scratched it slightly, because it is still bothering me today) and retired to my car to try and make myself cry to irrigate it. I failed, not in small part because I was about to watch football and I was too excited to get worked up about other things.

2 comments:

Door to Bangalore said...

Hey Dave,

Thanks for reminding me that somethings never change. You are still incredibly enthusiastic about football.

About your DC trip, the middle of the month should be a great time to get some wonderful shots. Later in October the colors will be more intense. I am hoping this helps, with only one fall season back east to go from it is really difficult to predict for me. I just basing it on my miniscule existence in Buffalo, NY. Enjoy your trip! If you were coming closer Travis and I would have loved an opportunity to get together with you.

I hope you are doing well, take care. :)

Michelle

-Dave said...

Well, looking ahead from last Christmas I had hoped to be distracted by something even more exciting than football by this time of the year, but that was not to be.

At least football, unlike women, will always be there for me, if only for a quarter of the year. Gotta take what you can get sometimes.

I am very much looking forward to DC. I get a room with two queen beds to myself... should I build a fort with the spare?