Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Crocodile Hunter

The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, died this past week. Not eaten by an alligator, bitten by a spider, or any other of the dangerous animals he was so familiar with, but a "lucky strike" by a stingray, which pierced his heart.

I was sad to learn this. He seemed so full of energy and life, with a love for the natural world that inspired others.

Evidently, among other honors, he will be afforded a state funeral if the family wants, as he was a face of Australia that the world came to know and love. He leaves behind a wife and two children - 8 and 3, as well as a world that lost a little bit of its light.

To learn more...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I ever once saw the show, but I was sad to learn about this, too.

PS Is it weird that the first three letters of my word verification are "snk"? (My first thought was "snake.")

-Dave said...

I'm slow. Snake. Crocodile Hunter. Very interesting, indeed.

It's the sort of show you just have to see. I thought the movie he made was quite funny as well, if satirically self-aware.