Monday, October 03, 2005

Professional, or Something

Today I had my first significant responsibility as an Economist. By statute, the Employment Security Council has to meet once a year, and at this annual meeting the unemployment tax rate for the upcoming year is set. I got to give a presentation explaining the history of the trust fund, the current levels, and provide forecasts for the next couple years.

I got all dressed up in my one suit (which has served me well, but may need to be retired as the growth in my arms from working out means that the sleeves are noticeably tighter), made sure to shave carefully (skipping that duty Friday through Sunday to accumulate enough stubble to cleanly slice it all off - growth in facial hair is not something that happens in a hurry for me), put on my gray silk tie, and got it taken care of.

Through strange coincidence, I heard "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees on my CD player 2 or 3 times this morning, which may explain once I had put the meeting behind me (broadcast live on the internet and everything!), I couldn't help but think about John Travolta's "There's just one thing left to do now... strut" line from.... whatever the sequel to Saturday Night Fever was.

I feel confident that when all cleaned up, I look pretty decent in a suit. I just don't like wearing clothes that I can't wear sitting in the dirt to set up a tent. Lacking the presence of a woman to "civilize me," I am quite content in jean shorts and a well-used tee shirt.

Evidently the entire meeting went well, was concluded in quick fashion, and the members of the council for whose benefit this information was prepared had good things to say all around about the quality of the information presented.

My name was on the agenda: David Schmidt, Economist. That's like, a real job or something. A job with which I can tell people what I do, and not feel like I need to hide my head in shame. Not because the work I had before was not respectable, but I always felt more capable than what I was able to do there. Now, I feel better able to stretch and apply myself.

And I make enough to support a family, should the need arise. Currently at $.02 per hour beneath the average national hourly wage, with a promotion and raise in a year (I think). There are studies that show that a person's satisfaction with their wage is not best measured in absolute terms (how much do you make), but in relative terms: compared to others. Being a couple pennies from the nationwide 50% mark at 27, I feel pretty okay with this. And I can look forward to a good career with the state, with room and time to advance.

Now all I need is the family...

Somehow, forecasting the future of the unemployment trust fund seems a simple task compared with that one.

No comments: