Saturday, October 22, 2005

Don't Wanna Be A Rock Star

[exasperated rant] I never wanted to be one of those guys that every woman wanted to be with. I wanted one and only one woman to be close to. Loyalty, faithfulness, love. These are good qualitites, right? In economics, certain things are known as signals. These are used to make judgements with limited information, ie: a college degree signals employers that a given candidate is of above-average inteligence, even if the given job does not require the degree this candidate has earned. I suppose it's the same with women. If a guy is liked by some women, other women find him attractive because he is evidently love-able. Which leaves a guy like me out in the night.[/exasperated rant]

In other news, Tech Central Station has become my favorite reading at the moment at work. I can find plenty on market issues, which helps get my mind running. But some articles offer just plain interesting insights on a variety of topics.

See, for example, this, this, and this. The third is my favorite of the three, but each was informative and interesting.

In further news, I asked a rhetorical question whether the Bible could contain myth. I am not saying one way or another here, but consider the story of Job. It always seemed... less than historical. It almost seems to begin with a "Once upon a time..." Would that make it less true?

What about metaphor or allegory? The sun standing still, the strength of Samson, the parting of the Red Sea, the story of creation and the Garden of Eden? Literal history, or something else?

Finally, I may be going camping over Nevada Day. It will be cold and rainy. But (1) due to my recent change of jobs, I missed much camping this summer, (2) I now get Nevada Day as a holidy (hooray for state employees!), and (3) I always hope to get to know people (women) I don't see very often, if at all. Camping is my element. I feel more comfortable surrounded by trees, stars, and clouds. So while the unpleasant weather reduces the already unlikely odds of this happening this weekend, if I stay at home there is zero chance. If I end up going alone, there is also zero chance, but at least I'm out where I feel like I belong.

My only other regular social outing is football games, where if I didn't have a big "I'm a crazy fan" sign hanging over my head, my "singing" of the school alma mater before the game sticks the sign there with crazy glue. At a recent game, my former college pastor and his daughter made the mistake of sitting nearby. According to my sister, they were "laughing hystericaly." Funny is good. Crazy, that's another story.

No comments: