Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Retraction

Earlier, I was overly hasty in stating that an upcoming speaker would be talking about end times issues. I commited the error of guilt through assoiation, and am man enough to admit it. The subjects for the conference have been posted, you can view them here until they are no longer available.

Great Fear of Mine: That the church so encumbers itself with important but secondary issues that it loses its fire. I spent much time trying to explain my fear of fad theology to one of the guys that serves in the A/V Ministry with me this last Sunday. In my time in the college group, I saw several "life changing" books move through, leaving hardly the shadow of a permanent imprint on our lives. If self-help books worked as advertised, why do we need so many?

I hope that the upcoming conference encourages us to be a light in the darkness, to be a force that the gates of hell will not prevail against, and to be Jesus in the world. Give me any excuse you want - if the world looks at the church and does not respond as it did to Jesus we are gravely mistaken in our approach to life.

Dare I leave it vague and theoretical? No. If the world looks at me and does not respond as it did to Jesus, I am gravely mistaken in how I approach life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was looking forward to this conference, but I'm headed to the sunny Carribean seas.

Wouldn't you like to see more conferences like this? Something that calls us to reach out, to look outward, to encourage us to get out of our holy huddle?

Besides the "End Times" topic, other topics I'm not in a rush to see is "Your Finances and You" or "You and Your Marriage" or "How You Can Grow Your Private Faith in Christ."

And another thing, I appreciate the articles the elders write for our newsletter. I'd like to see more "This Is Our Church's Purpose" and "This Is Our Goal To Be a Blessing this Month."