Sunday, March 20, 2005

Conferences

I think if my church has another "end-times / prophecy / Left Behind" conference I may in fact run screaming from the building.

One was nice. Two was okay. Three seemed a bit much. Four was definitely a bit much. But they just keep coming.

Perhaps I would be less agitated if we had more conferences on how to be a servant of all; on looking after widows, orphans, and aliens; on how to be more like Christ. I want a conference that actually has value for myself and the world.

Why, then, do we avoid such topics? Why do we continue to pull from the "Tim LaHaye Prophecy Group?" Do we do it (1) because the person picking speakers loves the topic, (2) because we think this will draw more people, or (3) because this is really what concerns us most?

I go to run sound and Power Point. I think this year I will try to recruit someone else and do something more productive, like picking the lint from under my toenails.

2 comments:

-Dave said...

Discovery Ministries Link

Emblematic of my Frustrations... click the link to see an advertisement for "Prophecy Tours and Cruises"

Cruises.

I can't help but think of the religious theme park Ned Flanders built in the Simpsons. At least that was meant to be funny.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Dave, but you knew that. What about a conference that points out what God is doing in the world, what he'd like to do in the world through us (that is, oppose evil and injustices), and rally us to join him in it.

We have been empowered by the Holy Spirit and mostly we use that power to freee and strengthen ourselves. What about preaching the gospel to the poor and the captives?