Saturday, April 09, 2005

Basics

Pope John Paul II died a week ago. I mourn him as a man who, as near as I can tell, did his best to serve Christ. He did so in a way very different from how I do it, but I know that he was concerned for the weakest and most helpless people, as our Lord was.

Once, while Jesus and his disciples were speaking, they told him of a man casting out demons, and wanted to know if they should stop him. Jesus' answer was that whoever is not against us is for us. This is very different from our normal combative attitude that anyone who is not for us is against us. It is important to remember that we are fallible humans, each composing but a part of the body of Christ.

What do I care about? The cross. The death of Christ that gives us life. Many things in this world exist to divide us, perhaps we are better off remembering those thigns that unite us.

No comments: