Sunday, April 24, 2005

A Theory of Young Adult Ministry

Note that anything I put up here comes from the very limited framework of my own experience. That said, I hope there are some thoughts worth putting out to the world for discussion.

We tried to have a Young Adults ministry a couple years ago at my church. A friend of mine and I as his trusty sidekick were behind just about everything that happened, and we watched it start out, grow suddenly huge, and then slowly waste away.

I have been involved with my own age group in a teaching ministry of one sort or another since I was about 19, and only in the last year or so did that go away, and I have had time to reflect from the outside on the successes and the failures that we faced.

It goes without saying that desire is crucial, but many people mistake desire for ability and people are placed in situations set up for failure because they don't know how to go about it. Even so, I still place prayer and dependence on God as the crucial framework for any ministry, to young adults or otherwise. But said dependence involves being willing to stop or change when needed, and it is in that willingness that I personally think I failed.

But on to theory. In my mind, Young Adults is a term that can be applied to people from 20 - 35 or so. The specific ages are very flexible, and the group is best defined not by the number of years under someone's belt, but by whether a person feels like they belong. This is, in fact, the first major distinction of this group. Whereas Children's Ministries, Youth Groups and College Groups are defined almost exclusively by age, Young Adults transition not on a birthday or a graduation date, but by a sense of identification - when they realize that they have somehow, almost by surprise, become adults, and they don't have quite as much in common with the college freshman as they once did. They have different perspectives, different life situations, different goals. When does someone move from being a Young Adult to being an Adult? I'll let you know when I get there. I am only 26, working hard on 27, and am still on the way.

Within the broad group of "Young Adults" there can be defined three very distinct groups, all of which have many vital things in common, but each of which has very specific needs that need to be addressed. There are the Young Marrieds, the Old College People, and the Young Singles.

Old College People are those who are in their early twenties and are looking seriously at the life ahead of them. The security of the established systems they have grown up in - both in education and in church are about to pass away, and they are wondering what comes next. I had no idea what was next. I had always learned that you went through the Youth group not dating, because you were not yet ready to make such a commitment, you went to College and got married, then graduated and had a family and career. I was almost frozen with fear as I approached the end of college without ever having even dated someone. Suddenly, fully half of the future I had always expected had not materialized. My gut reaction lined up nicely with advice that I got - continue going to school. Go to seminary - lots of women go there looking for husbands. I did not follow that path for a few reasons, beyond the scope of this. The point is that this is a time of "rubber meeting the road." Its onset is relatively sudden, its ramifications lifelong, its impact intense. The young have not reached it, the old may have forgotten how it felt.

Young Singles are a group utterly overlooked in the church, in my experience. My experience echoes the lesson mentioned above. There is High School (no dating), College (dating, courtship, and marriage), and Career (family). To be in my mid to late twenties, with no reasonable hope or good plan for finding a wife, I am suddenly faced with the prospect that I may never get married. The College Group, that frenzied dating connection in the churches I have known, contains people almost 10 years younger than me. And at less than 30, that is still 1/3 of my life. My church has a class (at least in name) for the Young Married people (the "Couple's Connection"), but seemingly without a thought toward a growing group very much in need of reassurance that they are not alone - Singles who are begining to think, not as a stressed-out high school student fresh off their first big break-up but as adults, that they may never get married. This is scarrier than I know how to put into words. The defining thing for most adults is their family. And while I come from a great family, when you talk to a 30-year old about their family, they mention their spouse and possibly children first. Who grows up dreaming how they will never find love? The stereotypical guy is fine with no marriage, but he is interested in a casual means to satisfy his desires, and doesn't want commitment. What do you do with desires you are told to "save until marriage" when marriage suddenly seems very much in doubt (for some, like me, a thing that it hurts to think of for the simultaneous want of it and confidence that it is unattainable)? How do you go about making a home for yourself without the standard division of labor, and the responsibility falls squarely on you. I could continue, but being in this group myself, I could write many pages with no discernible point.

Young Marrieds are such a large part of the Young Adults, both in perception and in large part composition (though not as much), that my church and others I have read about, often go too far and have just a Young Married's ministry. But this is a distinct group with distinct needs, none of which I will claim to have understanding of. I believe this from those I know who are in said group. And forgetting the lion's share of Young Adults in pursuit of unity with those not in this group is an injustice to them and foolish.

This is not the problem I see at the moment, but rather the sole existence of a Young Married's class, with nothing else. Perhaps they assume that Young Singles and Old Collegiates will feel welcome there, but I personally feel anything but. If you need, take the more sympathetic example of a couple who desperately wants to have children, but through repeated attempts and failures thinks they may never have children. Now, create a class for couples with children and tell me how welcome this couple will feel in this class.

How do we, then, go about integrating these groups? Do we really need to do so? Tune in later. For now, a recap.

Statement henceforth assumed to be true:
Three groups of overlapping ages exist within the 20-35 age spectrum. The Old Collegiates, newly facing asystem of slow advancement in a much less structured environment both at work and in church; the Young Singles, growing old and moving on with life, with the marriage they had assumed to be in their future suddenly looking like it has passed them by; the Young Marrieds, learning what it means to love another person before yourself, beginning to move ahead with a body that has two heads, often two careers, and often brining two seperate visions of what the future should be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would challenge your Young Singles class definition based on the summary. I would just leave it at people growing old and getting on with life. I just don't know if everyone feels that panic, at least not all the time. For me, looking back, it was just my season to worry about it.
I guess quibbling. Go on with your theory.

-Dave said...

I submit that Young Singles have as many issues with growing up and moving on with life, perhaps more, as Young Marrieds. Do any of us know how to be adults?

I do not speak for everyone, and I see in rereading that I focused a lot on one topic. I am sure that it is more of an issue for me based on my observations of others, then again I do my darndest to try and appear mostly unconcerned by it.

Three thoughts: (1) Big deal to me because I want a family and look into my future without seeing that happening. If you know me apart from this fact, you miss the one thing that, were it not wrestled with daily but let loose would utterly demolish my faith, and even so tries to do so. Why don't I discuss it? Because it turns an otherwise stoic guy into someone who can barely speak three words on the topic without fighting back tears.

(2) The point if the Young Singles class is that, from books I have read including Virginia McInerney's "Single, Not Seperate," other people have varying issues with being single including how to juggle home life, work life, church life, and social life with but 24 hours in a day and no division of labor. Money is tighter than a two-income household, with not nearly as much time to take care of things around the house (or apartment - mortgages are hard for a single income, though I know a person or two who has pulled it off) unless, like me, you become a shut-in. Singles in culture are those who live it up, date and sleep around in a whimsical frenzy until commitment encroaches like an unlooked for intruder into the fun. Single in church? Not so much, methinks. Perhaps better for those who form such attachments more easily, or those without the figure of a pregnant woman.

(3) It was just your season to worry about it until... what? As one ages, the pool of available women shrinks. I am, of course, no socialite, but I know well enough to converse with precisely two single women within +/- 4 years of my age. Both have, directly and indirectly, expressed no interest in anything else, leaving me with...? By 35, only 84% of the population-at-large in the US has never been married. I suspect that many of these are carrer-oriented or commitment-phobic people. Church, with it's redirected priorities is likely to have a signifigant shift in that number.

Everyone is "just growing old and getting on with life." I list marriage as the example I am most familiar with. But don't worry. I have many pages left in me, including perhaps further discussion of the three groups. Well, discussion on two, solicitation for one. As I said, I know nothing about marriage.

Please, feel free to elaborate. This is a draft, thrown out to be nailed down.

-Dave said...

Sorry. 3 girls +/- 4 years of my age, with a fourth whose age I don't know, but she may not even be single. The third is a story not for this forum, but she cannot be given a 100% anti-interested rating (just a 0% who-knows rating), so I must amend my earlier statement. There may be more, but most single girls I know are young enough to make a relationship with a guy my age "gross," as I overheard one say once. And there are others whose age I don't know but know well enough not to ask, but they are likely near the -4 barrier.

Anonymous said...

You've already crossed into the "gross barrier?" Dad gum it, when does that happen? Obviously, I'm not in the market, but having crossed that imaginary threshold just makes me feel so old.
I put on my Freak t-shirt this morning (you know, the one that says "freak." on it), but took it off after looking in the mirror. I looked pathetic. I looked like I was still trying to convince myself that I'm still hip and relevant, instead of old and quaint(?).