Sunday, April 10, 2005

Conference Update

It is time for our Spring Conference, and we are already halfway through it. I liked the first sermon, which was about the story of a wee little man - Zaccheus. What I liked most about the sermon was that it noted that on his way to the cross - the fulcrum of all history, Jesus took the time to have dinner with a sinner and changed his life. I was encouraged, and reminded of the great love of God for those who need him.

The second sermon I had high hopes for. "Preaching Jesus in a Postmodern World." I think that there is a cultural shift underway that is commonly called postmodernism, but I generally dislike buzzwords on principle. That said, the subject matter is one I wanted to hear someone talk about. My only notes from the sermon? "Why, oh why do I need a sermon about why Paul's sermon at Mars Hill (found in Acts 18), and how that was the perfect example of how to be 'culturally aware?'" I have thought and continue to think that Mars Hill might be considered a "how not to preach," example, as Paul went after Athens to Corinth, where his approach was radically altered.

The main points were that an effective proclamation must be culturally aware, theologically significant, and it will have an impact. Nowhere did I see "authentic," the thing that I would say means the most to youths of today. Everything was about the teaching, not about the living, and if that is the emphasis... I fear the point is missed.

Perhaps it was implied. It very well may have been. Perhaps I was distracted (rather, I know that I was), but I was listening, hoping for the breakthrough. Besides, I needed to advance the Power Point. Yay for A/V geeks!

No comments: