Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hopefully

Hopefully, I'm never stranded on a desert island with nothing but coconuts.

I went to the store yesterday to get some fresh fruits for grazing at the apartment. I got half a dozen apples, some dried raspberries, and on a lark a pineapple and a coconut. I was eager to try the coconut, as I LOVE just about anything made with shredded coconut. Assuming it tasted good, I pondered making a sort of pina-colada fresh fruit smoothie.

After a lot of effort (including 15 minutes in the oven after draining the milk), I finally got to the meat of the coconut. It didn't even make it to chew-and-swallow. I bit into it, and it just didn't taste good. And it smelled funny. I was most disappointed.

It wasn't at all what I expected, more's the pity. I did, however, have the pinapple handy, so I sliced that up, and enjoyed a mid-afternoon treat. If only the pineapple were as cheap as its canned chunks...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried warning you Dave. Only I was not as smart as you to try to put it in the oven. Instead I muscled it. One thin coconut slice for an hour of effort, I threw it in the trash. Note to others reading this: Leave coconut slicing to the professionals and just buy the shredded stuff in the bag.

Erin