Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Saving the World at Wal-Mart

Did you know only 6% of households use Compact Flourescent Lightbulbs (CFLs)? It seems like a no-brainer to me: according to the New York Times article I was reading, they save an average of $30 per customer in energy costs over the life of the bulb, as they use 75% less electricity and last 10 times longer.

They cost 8x more than traditional bulbs, but are cheaper in the long run (and Economists have a long love affair with the long run). They reduce electricity demand, which is good for your pocketbook, and would be good for your neighbor's if everyone used them.

We rotate them in as the old lightbulbs in our apartment burn out, though I don't see any savings from the power consumption end (my roommate pays those bills), I do know that 10 old lightbulbs at $0.50 cost more than 1 new bulb at $4.

And Wal-Mart, in a conscious effort to use its power in a way that's good for the Earth (and your perception of them), is commited to convincing you to buy them.

3 comments:

Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

Home Depot had a 30-pack of CFLs on sale for $30 in 2003 while I was living in Provo, Utah. One of the best investments I've ever made. Only two of them have burnt out and they result in tangible electricity savings. The only downside is that I have had to thrice unscrew every lightbulb in my apartment when I move. No way I'm leaving them behind at $7 a pop.

Kaysi said...

i've been hearing about these -- wanting to try them out myself. but i'm waiting to get through the packages we've already bought first... does target carry them, do you know? one of my "new year's resolutions" was to avoid wal-mart at all costs....

-Dave said...

They are becoming more common, so Target may very well carry them. The first package I ever got was at Home Depot, so that's the only other place I know for sure that carries them.

Avoid Wal-Mart at all costs? There's more of a story there. I only avoid it out of convinience (Scholaris is much closer to being on my way home), but I do my bulk shopping there. Though, there are times it would be better for me not to wander the aisles with money to burn. Because burn it I will.