Tuesday, January 02, 2007

3...2...1...Whatever

2006b was the most boring year ever. The sun never rose, the dark landscape flashed past the car, illuminated by only a handful of semis heading the opposite way.

It was also only about 30 minutes long, and was spent between 45 miles north of the Oregon-Nevada state line and 15 miles north of it. My sister and I were driving back to Reno from Boise, watching Nevada lose a nailbiter to the University of Miami. Midnight, Mountain Time caught up with us at about Rome, Oregon (seen: a bar, a bridge, and a pickup with two old retrievers sleeping in the back) and so we rung in the New Year by passing a trucker who had pulled over to shoot off a bottle rocket.

But we outraced time, leaping back to 2006 as we headed West. Well, south - but that's just where they decided to put the time line.

Driving from Boise to Reno when leaving Boise at 9pm Pacific time means you get in to town very late. Late, like pick-a-song-on-the-iPod-you-can-sing-aloud-to-stay-awake late. From 5:30 pm Saturday night to 4am Monday morning (34.5 hours total), I:

Spent 10 hours sleeping on my cousin's couch.
Spent 3.5 hours talking with my cousin and his wife.
Spent 5 hours at a football game.
Spent an hour getting gas, in the store, eating dinner, and other miscellaneous tasks.
And spent 15 hours driving.

3 comments:

Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

The landscape around Rome is quite lovely during the day. Nice place to practice reverse time travel.

Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

Although I guess the Mountain Time/Pacific time boundary is further south between Burns Jct. and McDermitt. It is not as pretty down there. Not a pretty place to practice reverse time travel

-Dave said...

The bluffs (I think that's the formation) around Rome are very beautiful. I just wish I had taken the time to check earlier whether my camera battery failing at the Winnemucca Raleys parking lot was due to no power, or the cold.

It was the latter. I suspected as much. But we didn't stop until the lovely sign in Jordan Valley, so I never checked.

Guess I'll just have to make the drive again. Good thing Nevada football plays at Bronco stadium in 2007. 2007b, that is.