Sunday, February 19, 2006

Grinding

In the world of Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs), grinding is where you do mindless, repetitive tasks over and over and over in order to gain experience to advance your character's skills, abilities, experience, etc. It's what drove me away from the one that I tried - I play games in order to accomplish things, but as a way of balancing large multiplayer games, achieving the very highest levels requires a lot of persistence. Most people I know learned ways to massage the system. I always just wanted to be able to do the task at hand.

Most grinding becomes almost absurd. To gain weaponmaking skill, you might just make 10,000 pistols, and destroy them all. The in-game markets become flooded with people trying to sell their worthless items, before they realive there's a thousand other people doing the exact same thing.

This comic made me laugh. But you need to know what grinding is for it to make sense.

No comments: