Sunday, November 27, 2005

Christmas

There is an episode of Seinfeld where the topic of giving a charitable donation in someone's name as a gift it discussed. It is decided to be a shallow thing, more selfish than selfless. I think I agree, to an extent. It could be taken as trying to assume the moral high ground ("You gave me this materialistic thing, but I fed the hungry."). It might feel unreciprocated - you get stuff, but they get a card. So I think it may be presumptuous.

Therefore, I'll be direct. I don't want any gifts. I have enough stuff. Would I like things? Sure, but need would be a great exaggeration. If anyone feels inclined to spend money with me in mind during this season, I'd be most satisfied with someone making a charitable donation. Habitat for Humanity, Heifer International, the American Red Cross, and World Vision are good places to start. I prefer nonpartisan organizations (Amnesty International therefore is not so high on my list).

No comments: