Sunday, May 25, 2008

Behold the Spud

Both I and my roommate had seen at least one commercial for a restaurant in Reno with an interesting premise. The meals are all centered on the potato - normally, the baked potato. The restaurant name - Spudistro - gives you the basic premise, all in a name.

What I didn't know was that this is a completely original restaurant. Owned by a mother and her daughter, with a vaguely Minnesotan accent, they work one shift - 11-7, closed on Sundays. We didn't know their hours, or really anything about them when we went out for our normal Friday night dinner. We arrived at about 7:05 pm, the door propped open with a "Closed" sign clearly visible. I walked up to at least take a good look at the menu, when the owner came to the door. I Asked if they were really closed, and she said yes. But she may have read the disappointment on my face, because she mentioned she still had some potatoes and asked if we wanted to just place an order to go.

I ordered the "Slide Mountain" - a baked potato, covered in pulled pork, barbeque sauce and sour cream. Some other combinations were a beef and broccoli potato, a potato with pulled pork, jalapeƱos and onions, and a potato smothered in cheese, chili, and onions. One of us also got a sourdough bowl of potato cheddar soup, also evidently quite tasty. They were all delicious, filling, and cooked perfectly - soft but firm, and tasty through and through.

I like to support local businesses. I like to support original ideas. And I like to support friendly people that go out of their way to offer service. All of these things are true of Spudistro. You should check it out.

To find it, the website doesn't look too informative. But it's at 624 Prater in Sparks, in the shopping center on the north-west corner of Prater and McCarran, in the Longs Drugs center, right behind the McDonalds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you found this place. My charges and I go by it almost once a week. We go to the Pizza Hut right next door for the lunch buffet. Spudistro is always full. When it first opened, it took a while for it to get going. We would see one to three people in there. Now, it is always full during the lunch hour. The food looks great. We've never gone because it just isnt' the kind of food my charges will eat. But one day I will have to try it. It was nice learning the personal info about the owners. Thanks for the post.

Rob Woods said...

I've always wanted to check this place out. What a great idea!