Friday, April 18, 2008

More on Zimbabwe

This is more than a political dispute. This is brutal, inhuman rule by thugs and criminals. Even in this article, where the man's picture shows him lying in what appears to be a hospital bed, has his face obscured for fear of reprisal.

From the BBC World News: "Zimbabwe Victim: I Wailed In Pain"

"...I could hardly identify them, everything was happening under the cover of darkness. They shouted that I was a good-for-nothing MDC activist, out to effect a regime change. They even doubted that I could run a shop, given my age. They said I got the money from the MDC, through its British sponsors. Of course, that's not true.

After being subjected to thorough beatings that lasted until the early hours of the morning, something that I never imagined took place. That was a sad ghastly side of human nature. I want to believe for now, it never happened. They took dry grass from nearby, burnt it, and placed my hands above the flame for about three minutes.

I wailed, howled in pain, and many in the surrounding homesteads could hear my voice. But they could do nothing to help. The war veterans are gods, feared in the villages..."

No comments: