Monday, April 21, 2008

The Death Penalty

I just don't trust it.

This is the story of a man on death row in Texas. The US Supreme Court declined to allow an appeal to go forward, and this man is again moving forward toward death.

There were no witnesses.
He maintains his innocence.
He had no previous criminal record.

Those are the things that scare me the most in a death penalty case. If someone confesses, or if there's an eyewitness, or even if the convict had a previous record that would support the it's-been-a-pattern argument then I'd be more inclined to give it a chance. But it seems to my utterly untrained eye that there's a much larger margin for error when these things are true. And the death penalty isn't something that gives you much room for "Oops!"

3 comments:

Kenny said...

Yeah, I agree. And this worst case scenario has happened too often, where someone is executed only to be later vindicated.

Anonymous said...

I'm not against capital punishment, but I don't trust us to make the just decision every time. I don't want to hear about any oops. Kenny's comment only strengthens my feeling.

Kenny said...

well, if the three of us are in complete agreement, then clearly some kind of law should be passed.