Monday, February 25, 2008

Solutions

I had a dilema. I needed to track some data, and while spreadsheets would probably work it would be a cumbersome way to handle this particular type of data. What I really wanted was Access, so I could use some forms and reports to compile various pieces of the data as seamlessly as possible. But I don't have Access at home, and it would be good if I can put together a solution that would be portable - that is - a solution that I could hand off to somebody else without first seeing if they have a pricey suite of programs.

The answer? OpenOffice.org It's a suite of open-source programs that include programs to accomplish the same tasks as MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Access. And it's a free legal download (so anybody I would hand this file off to would be able to download this software and use the file I'm building).

It's pretty slick so far, but I'm still fumbling my way through it. Mostly, I'm waiting on some important source data so I have some real numbers to work with. That will go a long way to answering whether this will actually work.

No comments: