Friday, December 08, 2006

All I Want for Christmas

Alternate Title: They Remember!

My friends have a habit of exchanging gifts at Christmas, something I have traditionally done only with my family. I was discussing it with my roommate, and he has passed the word on to all of them that what I want more than anything is for them to use money in a charitable donation, instead of getting me more stuff.

I haven't even mentioned it since last year, but I heard rumors of a coordinated push to combine their resources in one donation (trying to do more in one donation than each doing it individually). My a-religious friends get a practical demonstration of love, as they give to a charity other than the Expand-Dave's-DVD-Collection Foundation. That's just super.

While I don't like the "Instead of giving you a gift, I'll make a charitable donation in your name" idea, because I still get stuff AND get to take the "high road" while you get nothing; instead I proactively say "Don't give to me. I don't want stuff. Instead of spending on a gift for me, feed a hungry child, buy an animal for a poor family, give to charity. This means I don't get stuff, while I do still give stuff. I admit, there is a part of me that wants to accumulate more things - the part that loves likes toys, gadgets, and the like. But it is not the part of me I want to feed and make stronger.

Need ideas? I've got a list at the left. Need more ideas? Our church plant could use money. Need even more ideas? Use the Charity Navigator.

No comments: