Monday, November 20, 2006

A Busy Weekend

I got a call on Saturday afternoon. "Do you want to go to the 49ers game tomorrow?"

I wasn't sure at first. I was to be at a basketball game until 9 that night, and the planned arrival time at the stadium in San Francisco was 9 the next morning, with a lot of road between here and there. The final decision was a "what the heck, why not go for it." I did it, and I'm glad I did.

The game was great, with a win, a single-game rushing record for the team, the first career rushing touchdown for the QB, a tribute to Jerry Rice at halftime that kept the whole crowd in place (I'd say in their seats, but everyone was standing), and a chance to see former Nevada player Nate Burleson playing professional football (even if it was for the other team). All this, after watching the football team post its first back-to-back shutouts since I have been alive, and watching Nick Fazekas become the all-time career leading scorer at Nevada (in basketball).

The trip also means that I have taken 5 of 7 possible routes from the "mainland" to the San Francisco Peninsula in the last two weeks alone. There are 5 bridges, plus the ability to drive around the bay on the north and south. I have driven (or been driven) over the Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, the San Mateo bridge, the I-580 bridge (which leads to another trip across the Golden Gate), and around the north end of the Bay. That includes the most scenic bridge (the Golden Gate), the longest bridge (San Mateo) and the only bridge to stop on an island in the middle (Bay Bridge).

I also discovered that "Monster" energy drinks taste like cough syrup. But I was glad to have one each when I left home at 3am yesterday and when I was finishing the drive home at 10:00 that night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend. You were 3-0. How was work on Monday?

-Dave said...

Great weekend. Monday wasn't too bad - 10pm is around my normal bedtime, though I had some difficulty sleeping right away with caffiene coursing through my body.

But I'm sleeping in tomorrow. I can feel in my bones that I am not caught up on sleep yet.