Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pelosi: When does life begin? Doesn't matter.

Inane: adj, "One that lacks sense or substance"

Nancy Pelosi has stated that "The point is, is that it [when life begins] shouldn’t have an impact on the woman’s right to choose.” That is inane, and ridiculous. If you believe that a fetus is a living human made in God's image and yet think this fact should have no impact on whether it's permissible to kill it in the most inhuman ways imaginable, then we have a very serious failure to communicate.

When preserving abortion is more important than preserving life, there is something seriously wrong with your priorities.

On a side note, I find it perverse that abortion is always - cleverly, I admit - framed in terms like "family planning," "women's health," and "women's reproductive health." As I said during a discussion with some other Coram Deoites at the Reno AIDS Walk, I don't support abortion. I do support family planning, women's health, and women's reproductive health. These are not incompatible statements. Childbirth is a dangerous activity, and I want women to be healthy through the whole process, as I want them and other human beings to be healthy. But such terms relegate the child to the realm of a cancer, tumor, or other undesireable growth that must be eliminated for the woman to be made healthy.

It is dehumanizing, both for the child and for those that promote such manipulations of the truth.

3 comments:

-Dave said...

To whoever left the random comment before - assuming you weren't an automated spambot: forgive me if you link was valid, but most comments I see of that nature are nothing but spam.

If you'd like to comment again, please be sure to actually say something about the substance of my post.

Jeff said...

Abortion should be legal to the 153rd trimester. :-P

-Dave said...

That's 37.5 years old for those of you without a calculator handy.