Thursday, June 26, 2008

Speedy Gas

How much time do you save by going faster? How much money do you save by driving slower?

Figure it all out here. Roughly, of course.

But let's say you're driving to Vegas and back. Let's say you're planning on going 75 - a trite 5 mph over the speed limit. If you get 25mpg normally, but are willing to cut your speed to just 70mph, it will take 45 minutes longer, and you'll save about $10. This is roughly equivalent to making $13.80 an hour with your extra travel time. Cut your speed to 65 and you'll lose 90 minutes, and save about $21, for an hourly savings wage of about $13.00 an hour.

5 comments:

Ken, Alicia, Abby, and Ethan Lund said...

That's a great calculator.

Michelle said...

My husband tells me this all the time... I will try harder to let up on the gas to be greener. :)

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to tell you that I tried your claim of filling up the car each night. Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I spent much more doing that then I did filling it up once to twice a week. I think it depends on how much you drive in a day. As a nanny I am driving sometimes up to a hundred plus miles a day. Each time I filled it was costing me $20. Normally it cost me about seventy for the week with the new four dollar plus price tag. The other way was costing me almost double. Even when some of the days were only 15 to fill it, it still cost me more. I also admit that I don't really drive that much on the weekends to save money. Nothing like I used to. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me, but it didn't. Any thoughts?

-Dave said...

Filling up each day only makes a difference when the prices are rising rapidly. When they are just high, it doesn't make much of a difference.

For the last 3-4 weeks, the gas station I use has been steady at 4.11 to 4.12 per gallon. While it's steady, filling up each day or only when you run dry makes no difference except the time it takes to fill up.

The only savings come from having the cheapest possible gas in your tank, so it only affects your cost for filling up if prices are changing between when you could fill up, and when you must fill up.

Anonymous said...

oh, that makes sense.